The Butterfly Project
-A possibility of showing a solution to the North Korea problem-
President, Akiyama Associates
I participated in the Future Consensus Forum that was held in Inchon, Korea from November 25 to 27. From Japan, 4 political leaders, ISHIBA Shigeru, YAMAGUCHI Tsuyoshi, TAIRA Masaaki and KITAGAMI Keiro, and 5 experts, HATTA Tatsuo, MAEDA Tadashi, DAI Elbio, WATANABE Tsuneo and I attended the meeting.
A new institute in Seoul, the Future Consensus Institute (Yeosijae), organized this forum to pursue the establishment of an economic cooperation arrangement in Northeast Asia based upon the Butterfly Project.
The Butterfly Project is a plan for integrating Eurasia and North America into a single economic system by establishing a logistics network. The right butterfly wing consists of the One Belt One Road and the Northern Sea Route (the Northeast Passage) and the left wing is formed by the NSR (the North West Passage) and the Atlantic Ocean-the Panama Chanel-the Pacific Ocean route. Countries making up the body of the butterfly, Korea, Japan, Northeast China and Russia's Far East should unite and endeavor to realize a Northeast Asia economic cooperation arrangement.
There are many difficult problems with this project. Will China, which is promoting the One Belt One Road, join this project? Does the Russia's Far East compete economically with the other countries? Can Japan and Korea, who confront each other over critical historical issues, cooperate?
The most difficult problem, however, is the North Korea issue. No unity of Northeast Asia in the economic sphere can be realized as long as North Korea is isolated.
I didn't just participate in the forum, but I am also deeply engaged in the project. I believe that this project might provide a solution to the issues with North Korea and the worsening relations between Japan and Korea.
I will report frequently on developments with this project and the forum.
- January 2018: "A Destabilized Middle East" lectured by Koichiro Tanaka, Professor, Keio University
- December 2017: "Problems in Sino-Japanese Relations, 1992-2042" lectured by Ezra F. Vogel, Professor of the Social Sciences Emeritus at Harvard University
- November 2017: "The Future of the Asia-Pacific Region" written by Yoriko Kawaguchi, Fellow, the Meiji Institute for Global Affairs, Former Minister Foreign Affairs
- October 2017: "A New Trend in India's Foreign Policy and Japan" Written by HIROSE,Takako, Professor, Senshu University
- August 2017: "The Shocks that shook the Transatlantic World and their Implication for Japan's Foreign Policy" written by HOSOYA, Yuichi, Professor, Keio University
- August 2017: "Does Economic Interdependence not Encourage Collaboration? ―Thinking Japan-China Relations from an Economic Perspective―" written by Takashi SEKIYAMA, Ph.D., Toyo University
- July 2017: Proposal article "The Trump Administration's Impact on the Cross-Strait Relations" written by Yasuhiro Matsuda, Ph.D.
- June 2017: Proposal article "The outlook for the relationship between two great powers and implications for Japanese diplomacy" written by Professor Shin Kawashima
- May 2017: (Emergency Proposal) Facing the Inconvenient Truth: Re-examining Policy for Peace and Denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula (Chief author, Masao Okonogi)
- March 2017: "Economic Influences of the Trump Administration" written by Professor Motoshige Ito
- February, 2017: Proposal article "Trump's Foreign and Security Policy - Unpredictable President, Realistic Secretaries - " written by Mr. Tsuneo Watanabe is posted on the website of SSDP.
- December, 2016: Proposal article "Reconsidering North Korea Policy: How to Deal with a Nuclear Armed Divided States" written by Professor Masao Okonogi is posted on the website of SSDP.
- January 2018: "Fukushima, Genki？Project－Young Taiwanese volunteers introduce the facts on Fukushima's revival through documentary films－" reported by OGATA, Makoto, Former Chief of the Japan-Taiwan Exchange Association in Taipei
- December 2017: "Commemorating a Quarter Century of Dispatches of the JSDF's PKO Units: Challenges and Possibilities in the Post South Sudan" written by Takayuki Shoji, Lecturer, Nihon University
- November 2017: "19th CCP National Congress" written by Mr. Bonji Ohara, Senior Research Fellow, the Sasakawa Peace Fondation
- October 2017: "What is Japan's Role in the Indo-China border conflict?" written by Dr. NGAO,Satoru, Research Fellow, Institute for Future Engineering
- July 2017: "Overview of the Current Situation in Taiwan-" the Naturally Independent Generation" will affect the Taiwan"s politics-" written by Makoto Ogata MGE.(Ret.)
- June 2017: "Japan-U.S. Economic Dialogue" written by Mr.Takaaki Asano
- March 2017: "The Japan-Philippines Strategic Dialogue" written by Mr. Hideshi Tokuchi
- February, 2017: Current topic "The Importance of Japan's Security Role Under Trump" written by Dr. Satoru Nagao is posted on the SSDP website.
- December, 2016: Current topic "Widening Security Task: Will SDF do the Job?" written by Mr. Ippeita Nishida is posted on the SSDP website.
- 2017 December: "The Butterfly Project-A possibility of showing a solution to the North Korea problem-"
- October 2017: Campaign on the problems with North Korea
- August 2017: A New Containment Policy Strategy
- June 2017: Korean peninsla
- March 2017: President Duterte
- February, 2017: Kazakhstan
- November, 2016: Participated in Astana Club 2016 held in Kazakhstan on November 14- 16, 2016.